The most simplest form of exercising that anyone can perform is jogging. Jogging can be characterized as body movement between a normal pace of walking and fast-paced running.
Jogging is an ideal exercise as it has an average pace and consumes comparatively lesser energy than running.
But one might wonder how different is jogging from running. Well, the pace of movement is the differential element here. Jogging is done at a slower pace, while running is a high intensity exercise. It consumes more energy and burns more calories.
On the other hand, jogging is lighter on the heart and muscles. Additionally, while jogging a person makes a lot of contact with the earth and while running, makes hardly any contact. And that’s why jogging is a more weight-bearing option.
As simple as it sounds, jogging can have some profound impacts on our health and well-being which are listed below:
- Aids with weight loss – Half an hour of jogging burns up to 300 calories and improves metabolism
- Builds muscles – Jogging practiced over a period of time puts your body in shape
- Keeps mind healthy and reduces stress – Jogging produces a hormone called endorphins in the body, which is associated with making a person feel positive
- Improves heart health – Jogging pumps blood faster to the heart and keeps blood pressure in control
- Strengthens bones – It increases bone thickness and keeps away bone diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Enhances the respiratory system – The capacity of our lungs increases and our respiratory muscles are strengthened, resulting in a better intake of oxygen
- Slows ageing – Similar to benefits for the respiratory system, jogging helps the skin receive more oxygen and blood, which are important for younger-looking skin
- Builds the immune system – Jogging can also help fight depression, reduce fatigue and improve production of white blood cells
Wondering if jogging will consume an important part of your day?
Jogging is best done in the latter half of the day as our lung functioning is better and bones are more active and flexible. The body temperature is also suitable during this time, making it easy to jog.
Should you follow some guidelines while jogging? While jogging is a lighter exercise, there are certain guidelines to make jogging more beneficial:
- Firstly, consult a doctor regarding your jogging regime
- Warm-ups and stretches are a must before jogging
- Begin your routine with walking
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet
- Increase fluid intake
- Avoid eating before or after jogging
- Carry your cellphone and keep you fitness tracker on
- Avoid playing loud music while jogging
- Avoid using hard surfaces for jogging, choose a grass path
- Avoid congested roads
- Ensure to take at least two days of good rest in a week
Now that you know the essentials of jogging, fulfilling your health goals should not be difficult.
Jogging is simple and a good motivation to exercise. So, why not hit the road and track the calories you lose while you jog your way to healthiness?