Is a healthy lifestyle your aspiration but nonetheless it has been an uphill struggle to achieve? Maybe the approach you have been following is flawed. Moving towards a healthier version of you is easier than you imagine.
Nutrition experts have for long stressed upon the importance of healthy eating for improved health and living. Healthy eating is not as confusing or restrictive as it generally seems. Neither does it involve giving up the food you love nor imposing severe dietary limitations. It is all about adopting a healthy dietary pattern and reaping the benefits of improved health, increased energy and stabilized moods.
Healthy Eating, what does it mean?
Most people confuse healthy eating with dieting. Dieting is the process of cutting down on the consumption of certain food groups, in order to achieve a rapid weight loss. On the other hand, healthy eating is focused on the long-term aim of maintaining a well-balanced diet.
Though weight loss diets might provide quick results, they can be damaging for your health. It is better to try and lose weight gradually with a healthy and well-balanced diet.
How to eat healthy?Let us focus on a few ways you and your family can eat healthier.
- Switching to a low carbohydrate diet which includes the consumption of whole grains and higher quantities of fruits and vegetables is a proven method to a healthier personality. Aim for a diet with 30% starchy food and 3-5 different varieties of fruits and vegetables in a day.
- Consumption of sugar and saturated fats must be reduced. Excess consumption of sugar leads to increase in weight, diabetes and tooth decay. A combination of saturated and unsaturated fats in the right proportions is essential for good health.
- Too much salt in meals must be avoided as it raises your blood pressure, with a chance of further complications including a stroke or heart disease.
- A healthy diet includes plenty of water. Drinking water not just boosts metabolism and burns a few calories, it also reduces the calorie intake. Drink at least two bottles of water in a day.
- For foods with higher calories, it is important to control the size of the portion being consumed. Simply put, eat any food that you enjoy but in limited quantities.
- While food supplements have become extremely popular in the recent past, they cannot entirely substitute a healthy diet. Vitamin and mineral supplements must only be used judiciously upon medical advice to overcome the shortfall of any nutrients.
- Though many people consider that breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day, it is very likely that one may not be very hungry in the mornings on waking up. As digestion is at its peak around noon time, it is advisable to have lunch then in appropriate quantities. It goes without saying that, ‘Eat lunch like a king’ is the right approach.
Take up healthy eating on a consistent basis not just to lose weight but also to enjoy a healthier lifestyle with a feeling of awesomeness every day.